Friday, January 27, 2006

Knitting Curse

I seem to be under a cloud this week when it comes to knitting, so I don't have much to show. First, I tried to start a Trellis cardigan for my co-worker's soon-to-be baby (his wife is due in March). I used a big ol' ball of Steinbach Wolle Jumbo yarn that I found on sale at yarn store in Connecticut. It is 80% acrylic and 20% wool, and machine washable which seemed perfect for baby clothes. However, this yarn was just not happening for gauge, so I ripped out what little I had done. The pattern calls for Rowan All-Seasons Cotton, and I actually have some in my stash, but it's hand washable only. Hand wash baby clothes? This seems like more of a curse than a gift! I'm starting to think about just contributing to the office pool for a gift instead!

Then I tried to knit this hat pattern using some Lion Brand Color Waves yarn. This is what the hat looks like now:

Yup, ripped it. It came out WAY too big! I looked like I had a big mushroom on my head. I really like this yarn despite being Lion Brand, it is quite soft and with very pretty sunset colors. I think I might just make a simple soft scarf with it instead.

Last night I cast on for the same hat pattern but using two strands of Lion Brand Homespun:

I'm not sure if this is going to work either. I couldn't find the yarn the pattern calls for. The good news is that this hat only takes an hour or two to make, so if it comes out bad I haven't wasted too much time.

I forgot to show the new book I received in the mail last weekend: I'm so excited about this book! I have been wanting to get this for the last year, so I took advantage of the Barnes and Noble gift card my mom gave me for my birtday to finally order it. I love almost every pattern in it, but here are some of the ones I'm considering doing first:

Cherie, which is the dark tweed-y boatnecked sweater.
Collette...the striped panels are done in lace patterns. I might pick different colors if I do this one. Salina, a very pretty basic pullover. I really want to do something in tweed yarn, can ya tell? I think this one is called Beau. G and I both looked at this book separately. Afterwards, I told him I really wanted to make him this one and he actually liked it too (this is a rare occurrence). It's also done in tweed yarn.

I'm going to mail order some yarn tonight, so I'll probably get yarn for at least one of these. I know you're all on the edge of your seats wondering which one I'll pick!

Here's one last picture, which I took while I was visiting a site for my job. Can you see the little track of mouse prints? I think that snow bank must have seemed like Everest to him! Have a good weekend everyone!

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2006 5:20 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Chris! Sorry about the cloud over your knitting. It's a bummer when things don't work out as planned. Trellis and all the other patterns you've got on your list are all great projects. Too funny, I actually picked up Vintage Knits on Wednesday. I've been drooling over it, too. I'm thinking Salina, but the masochistic part of me wants to try Demi.

As for your yarn purchase, I'm guessing you either buy the sweater yarn for Greg or the boatneck.

 
At January 30, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

You know, I've used Rowan All Seasons Cotton and it washes just fine in the machine. If it's a hat, it can be placed on a table or over a chair to dry. I made a Rogue pullover with it and I wash it in the machine and lay flat to dry, the yarn is fine with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home