Friday, January 06, 2006

Goodbyes and Hellos

Today my sister moves to Europe (she will be commuting between Switzerland and Germany). Here we are, circa 1980, spiffed out for Easter in my Grandma's backyard. Notice the awesome knit cap my grandmother made for me! I also seem to have lost my shoe.

My sister and I have lived quite a distance apart for the last 10 years, but when we get together, it's funny how we can fall right back into closeness with each other. I guess when you grow up with someone you will always have more in common with them than not.

One of the best things about my sister is that she is a great story teller. I'm pretty sure if she had lived as part of a primitive tribe, she would be the "Keeper of the Legends," the one who memorized all of the old stories and told them as the tribe gathered around the fire, adding her own embellishments and making the stories better than before. I can't tell the number of times I've tried to tell a friend a story that my sister has told me, and it doesn't come out anywhere near as funny or interesting. I usually don't even try anymore!

Anyway, to my sister, good luck in this new stage of your life, even though I know you'll do great. And of course, I am dying to hear some new stories!

That was my "goodbyes," now onto "hellos"...we got a new neighbor in our apartment building. She seems like a very nice lady, but I already can't stand her because she smokes. This wouldn't be a big deal except for our forced hot air heating system. Even though each apartment has its own system, the air intake must suck in some of her air because every time the heat starts blowing I can smell cigarettes! Ugh! My throat is starting to feel all scratchy in the morning and G. couldn't even fall asleep last night because of it. Anyone know of a way to solve this problem (besides moving)??

1 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 8:26 AM, Blogger lobstah said...

Thanks for your comment, Deborah!

I thankfully figured out the problem this weekend. There is door connecting our two apartments (it is like the ones that connect two hotel rooms, with two doors back-to-back). Our heating system intake is right near it and was sucking the air through the cracks around it! I thought the door was sealed, because there was masking tape around it, but upon closer inspection it was not taped well. I taped all around the door, the door molding, and the floor molding, and lo and behold, it is 100% better! I can still occasionally smell a faint smoke smell in the bathroom, but I can deal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home