Friday, December 30, 2005

River's Debut

I knitted River from Rowan #38 a couple months ago, but never got around to blocking it (mostly due to a lack of pins). I bought a big box of pins and laid it out the other night:

It was done drying yesterday afternoon, so I tried it on:

Ooooh...purty! Here it is, artfully draped in the winter light:

Details: "River" from Rowan #38, designed by Sharon Miller. Knitted with 2 skeins of Kidsilk Haze, Color #590 (Pearl).

This was my first lace project, and I have to say, I loved it! However, I don't think this pattern is the most fun--it was impossible for me to memorize it and get into a rhythm. Other bloggers who made this also complained about this problem. The yarn was the Rowan subscriber's freebie. I never used Kidsilk Haze before and it is pretty nice stuff. I'm not sure how much I'll be using in the future, since I try to avoid buying silk (I'm a vegetarian, though I do knit with wool). I also have no idea where I could ever wear this shawl, but it was fun making it nonetheless!

I found this quiz on someone else's blog and thought it was really funny:
Don't Trip
You will be smothered under a rug. You're a little
anti-social, and may want to start gaining new
social skills by making prank phone calls.
What horrible Edward Gorey Death will you die?
brought to you by Quizilla

I love Edward Gorey's works, they're so weird and funny! I was first exposed to his art when someone gave me T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" as a child, which has wonderful Gorey illustrations. Hmm, maybe I should get some more of his books (as I turn my pants pockets inside out, and only a ball of lint falls out). Oh well, maybe someday...

Tomorrow we are heading down to Boston for the 6th annual New Year's Party with G's friends. It's always a great time, and it's always a bit (or a lot) crazy. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!



4 Comments:

At December 30, 2005 8:36 PM, Blogger rincaro said...

Hey! I was George smothered under a rug too!

And I love your river. Very beautiful.

 
At December 30, 2005 9:07 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Congratulations! Beautiful work.

 
At January 02, 2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your river came out beautifully! Great job for a first-time lace project. Now you'll be addicted :)

 
At January 03, 2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Sis,

I just saw that you finally started writing something!! I'm so impressed with your knitting. I think I'll just keep taking up hobbies and then passing them off to you when they don't work out - you're much more dedicated anyway. Although I think you started knitting before I bought and ignored my knitting stash.

Can't wait to see more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home